Thursday 15 May 2008

Chat with mum

Day off today and decided i'll spend the day with a friend and his family.. Picked up my tickets to paris first then checked out a fashion sample sale somewhere in the city and picked me up a lovely denim bomber jacket at an amazing bargain!

Was over at my friend's catching up on gadgets and stuff and mum called.. she did say we had 'a talk' when we spoke on sunday so i had been dreading it..

Well im an architect who's been caught up in fashion since i got to UK, and i do like it, i give style advice, i've met and dressed a few celebrities..yes i have! and i get to do alot of shopping but of course im not entirely happy when i walk past construction sites on my way to work.. so the call was definitely about my current career path...

Here goes.. you dont seem to care anymore about your life..you studied for 6 years + only to leave it for fashion? your father toiled and slaved to put you through school, and on and on it went.. of course i do love architecture and for the past 6months i've been actively searching, sent numerous applications, spent hours catching up on my drawings, spent loads expanding my library, met and spoken with dozens of recruiters but ive been shooting blanks!

So i told mum what she needed to hear.. im not happy im not in the career i want to be, im not happy doing what i am doing now but i do have bills to pay, i definitely appreciate all the effort that has gone into schooling me and it will not be in vain! I have been jolted back into my search again...

i do love fashion, i do like styling, but i also love lines, i love symmetry, i love planning spaces and i love creating living environments...so i will be searching for a night job now, so i can work freelance with a firm, while i gain the necessary UK building regulations knowledge required for me to secure that dream job..

I sincerely hope i make mum happy soon..

3 comments:

ibiluv said...

i am sure you will make her happy...........but remember........its mostly about ur happiness..........

Miz Arkitect said...

lemmi say this first.
am a strong believer in "doing what makes you happy"
BUT what more than ARCHITECTURE !!!! lol thats very selfish .. naa but really i guess my love for architecture is soo much i cant imagine trading it in for nothing.
Good you taking a step in working in the field. hope you doing it for you and not ur mum.
she wud be happy regardless if you are. thats how amazing mothers are.

Anonymous said...

Crap! I would find your blog the moment you leave the fashion industry. Double crap!!!